The Truth Behind Artist Bios
Ok…..so I am probably going to piss off a lot of you out there in the “music business” but seriously….not going to be the first time…lol.So…you are in an unsigned band and everyone around you (this includes your peers) are telling you how important it is to have a bio on your band and how that sweet bio is going to help you get signed and get your music career further….honestly….that is such BS!***This is where we piss the “peeps” off ***To be brutally honest….99% of the bios that are sent out to the press, label execs, music managers and blogs (that’s me) never get read and most of them are tossed in the trash can…Why you ask? Because they are boring…terribly boring…and most of the time the content included in them are all fluff…..and I get 100’s of these crappy bio’s on a daily basis……ouch huh?So…what is a band to do to get their information out there?!?!?!!Glad you asked!
Here is a music industry secret…and if you are reading this…please tell all of your band friends out there so you can make all of our lives a little more happier…I want you to imagine putting everything that is pertinent to your band all on one piece of paper…not multiple sheets….not both sides of the sheet….just one side of the paper…Now imagine putting enough content on that one sheet of paper in a way that tells everyone why they need to know about your band….and do this in a way that a 5th Grader can understand it…lol…that’s it basic and to the point…..and imagine that the 5th Grader that is reading it has A.D.D. too…
Here is how you want to structure your band’s “One Sheet” and what content should be in it.
1. Band logo
2. Name of the Band.
3. Member names and what they do.
4. What kind of music.
5. Where to find your music: Purevolume, Reverbnation, Bandcamp, Soundcloud.
6. Where the band is from.
7. Average Age of the Band.
8. ****Don’t mention that you sound like Blink 182 meets Eminem**** When you compare yourself to another bands sound…..you are automatically setting the mood to the potential listener.
9. List of press accomplishments (if you have any quotes).
10. How many plays, followers, likes, subscribers and video views you have on Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
11. A brief description of what your band is about…No more than 30 words.
12. Contact information.
13. Any equipment or product endorsements.
14. How many shows or tours you have done.
15. If you sold large quantities of song downloads or EP’s mention it.
16. If you have radio play mention where and who.
17. What larger bands you have opened for. Keep your shit as brief and to the point as much as possible.
I hope this helps all of you out!
– Rob Daily